MayaWorks Tour to Guatemala
Led by Executive Director Jeannie Balanda
February 12-21, 2016
Join a MayaWorks Tour of Guatemala!
MayaWorks offers a 10-day tour of the western highlands of Guatemala. Participants have the opportunity to visit MayaWorks artisans and enjoy the beauty of the country as well as gain insights about Guatemalan culture and fair trade. Your travel will be highlighted by our knowledgeable and friendly tour operator in Guatemala.
Travel in Guatemala provides an opportunity to meet a variety of Mayans involved in women’s economic development and education and to learn first-hand about their lives and the Mayan culture. There is also time for enjoyment of the incredible beauty of Guatemala, the Land of Eternal Spring, and to reflect with the group on our "one world" connections.
Writers, students, teachers, artists, social workers, health professionals and business women from all over the United States travel to Guatemala with MayaWorks. Over the course of the trip, groups forge bonds of friendship and a shared commitment to the women of Guatemala.
- Meet MayaWorks artisans in their homes and learn their story firsthand
- Learn about regional textiles and the art of weaving at the Museo Ixchel in Guatemala City
- Experience the importance of weaving in the Mayan culture and try your hand at backstrap and footloom weaving
- Find out how Fair Trade helps women along their path to economic security
- Visit artisans’ microcredit projects up close
- Explore the colonial city of Antigua and breathtaking Lago de Atitlán
- Trek the Iximché ruins in Tecpán
- Discover daily life in Mayan villages and meet community leaders
- Savor the rich flavors of Guatemalan food
- Drink Guatemalan coffee to your heart’s delight (many say it’s the best coffee in the world)
Trip Cost $1,650
Includes all Guatemalan hotel accommodations (double occupancy); ground transportation; all meals; attractions; and bi-lingual guide. Single room occupancy is available for an additional cost. Airfare is not included. A tax deductible donation is included in the price of the tour.
For more Information and tour itinerary
Email our tour coordinator: email@example.com or call us at 312.243.8050.
MAKE THIS JOURNEY OF A LIFETIME WITH MAYAWORKS!
$1,650 per traveler for double occupancy and includes all ground transportation, meals and accommodations, attractions, and bilingual guide. There is an additional $350 charge for single accommodations. Airfare is not included. A $200 tax deductible donation is included in the tour price. Please note: Itinerary is subject to change based on hotel availability.
We'll send you a reading list and lots of information to help you prepare for your travel in Guatemala!
To reserve your spot, please send a $350 non-refundable deposit. Payment can be made by Visa, Mastercard or Discover or by check. Refunds (tour cost minus deposit) issued only within 35 days of the start of the tour. Travel insurance is strongly recommended.
To pay by check or money order, send registration and payment to:
1937 Maple Avenue
Berwyn, IL 60402
Please note: Payment balance is due 45 days before the start of the trip.
Once we receive your deposit, we will send you a reading list to help you prepare for you trip. As we get closer to the trip date, we will send more information including a packing list, airport instructions, and emergency contact information.
Contact Jeannie Balanda at (312) 243-8050 for more information.